Tissue Paper Pom Poms are such a simple DIY that anyone can do! I remember making them growing up, simply with tissue paper and pipe cleaners. I have since perfected my technique and have been making Tissue Paper Poms for a living since 2011! With few simple supplies can make these gorgeous flower that you can use for birthday parties and in your kids rooms! Follow the steps below and learn how to make tissue paper pom poms.
What You Will Need
- Tissue Paper
- Scissors *Fun Fact: he scissors pictured are the scissors that I have been using to make thousands of poms since 2011, if I loose them I might as well close up shop!
- Flora Wire Cutter ( so you don’t ruin your scissors )
- Floral Wire * You can also use, pipe cleaners, ribbon, yarn, really anything that you can bind the tissue paper with tightly. I get my floral wire at Walmart
- I also use a cutting mat to protect my table, but you don’t need one.
How To Make Tissue Paper Pom Poms
1. Make sure your sheets of tissue paper are aligned nicely on top each other.
2. Fold the tissue paper sheet accordion style, make each fold about 1 inch. The size of the folds will depend on the size pom poms you are making. Here is a size chart to follow.
3. Get The Floral Wire Ready
- Cut 6″ piece of floral wire
- Bend the floral wire in half
- Twist into a small loop at the top
- Attach floral wire to the pom by sliding the 2 “legs” around either side of the pom pom
- Twist tightly at the bottom to secure the wire to the pom, I usually twist about 4-5 times to sercur
- Cut off the excess floral wire, leaving about 1/4″
- Bend the 1/4″ piece of wire up and then flatten
5. Yay! You made your very own Pom Pom
This is what your pom pom will look like at this step in the craft, now that wasn’t that hard was it?
6. Cutting the Petals
In my Etsy shop I offer two styles of petals. Round & Pointy. For a softer more feminine look most choose the round petals. For a festive party, spunky theme or a boys party most people will chose pointy. I love them both for different reasons. Which petal do you prefer?
For a round petal – round the corners of the pom
For a pointy petal – cut a diagonal line on either side of the pom
7. Fluffing the Tissue Paper Pom Poms
Now that your poms have been made and you have cut your petals you can fluff the tissue paper poms up! This is probably the most tedious part of the whole process, you have to be super careful and try not to rip the pom pom to shreds! I always suggest customers have a “fluffing” party where you invite friends over to help you fluff the poms for before your party! Be gentle with the poms, it is tissue paper and tissue paper rips with the slightest touch. Also, make sure to take your time separating the layers. If you do happen to tear the tissue paper, it is ok…really, there are so many layers in the fluffy tissue paper pom pom that you will hardly notice!
I would love to see and hear how you did with your DIY Tissue Paper Pom Poms! Leave me a comment below!
If making these tissue paper poms was not your thing, get your 20% OFF Coupon to shop at my Etsy shop, I would be happy to make them for you!
*This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using this link.